Insight Series Seminars
Mystery of Pain Seminar (Presented in both 3 or 4 CEUs, Cost: $60)
The Mystery of Pain is a fascinating journey into the very heart of how you understand, and therefore treat pain and suffering. A deeper understanding of the science of pain will open new vistas for exploration and increase your effectiveness with clients who hurt. Essentially, the more deeply you understand the process of pain, the more power you have to influence it. Emerging advances in the science of pain are not only fascinating; they open doors to possible avenues of treatment.
Course Objectives: Mystery of Pain
• Define 5 different terms used in pain research
• Explain the difference between pain tolerance and pain threshold
• Describe the difference between acute and chronic pain
• Explain the process of central sensitization and describe two clinical examples
• Explain the process of peripheral sensitization and describe two clinical examples
• Explain why nociceptors aren’t necessarily pain receptors
• Explain the process of “wind up”
• Explain how meaning and context can change the experience of pain- give two clinical examples
• Give two examples of how attention can both decrease and increase the experience of pain
• Explain how fear can increase the experience of pain
• Explain the role of the nocebo effect and how it increases the experience of pain
• Explain the difference between pain and suffering
In this presentation, the primary strategy is in the form of lecture with lots of Socratic questioning. Although the presentation is not technique based (extolling the value of one approach over the other), the goal is to turn a deep understanding of the mechanisms of pain into something immediately applicable in the clinic.
We will also use case studies and small group discussion to keep everyone fully engaged. Many research studies will be cited and the relevance to massage therapy will be discussed.